It’s a term we’re all probably familiar with. Research has shown that the more we have of it, the better we perform at work. I asked my colleagues at Quay Appointments what it means for them and flexibility, planning and downtime made the top three.
Based on a recent study by the Australian National University, where data was collected from 8,000 working adults, the work limit for a healthy lifestyle should be set at 39 hours per week.
What can you do to strike your right balance?
- Relax: Whether it’s spending time with family, friends or cooking dinner find what energises you and get your weekly dose of it.
- Exercise: Research has shown that regular exercise is not only a great stress reliever but, if you’re new to Sydney this can be an excellent way of getting to know people too.
- Be present: Mindfulness is an increasing trend that unpacks the idea that by being present helps us to enjoy whatever we are doing in that moment. Go on, give it a go.
- Start the day right: This is one for morning people – start the day doing something you love. By starting the day with a win, you’ll win the day.
- Unplug: Set a technology free zone where you have time away from devices.
If you are living life to the fullest, it’s likely you’ll perform well at work too. To unpack this idea further, generally people who strike their version of a healthy work life balance are more efficient, more creative and able to help colleagues win their days too. According to the Society for Human Resource Management, a staggering 89% cite flexible working arrangements as a key indicator of employee retention.
For any employers reading, here’s what you can do:
- Offer flexible working hours
- Organise team-bonding events (Escape rooms are one of the latest trends)
- Encourage employees to take short breaks throughout the day
- Partner up with a local gym to offer membership discounts or run team fitness sessions such as yoga.
What are you waiting for? Jump in and give some of these a go! Or sing to your own tune and create your own.
Sarah Steel Recruitment Consultant.