Skills you can never have enough! Are you planning a career change? Or perhaps you want to just upskill yourself, upskilling your skill set will definitely help you “Stay on top of your game”
As today’s market is so competitive upskilling has its benefits:
- Keeping up with industry demands, this may be anything from gaining an extra qualification, taking your employer up on extra training or even something as simple as reading a blog
- Salary Increase, with some new skills to show off the more valuable you will be to a company. This could lead to chance of a promotion or if you are looking to change career put you more step ahead of other candidates
- Having a fresh skill set may reduce the chance of redundancy. Businesses look to become more cost efficient and effective, is it often employees whose skills are outdated and no longer needed that feel the effects. Ensure that you can show your significance to an organisation.
People often don’t know the best way to upskill themselves or where to start. Upskilling doesn’t need to be scary, look at what options are available to you and use them to your advantage:
- Create a new resume, be very specific about your skills and achievements, this will help you stand out to employers
- Network, talk to people both in career areas that interest you and also people who have done courses that might suit you. Go to industry events, read blogs, join social media platforms etc..
- Find a mentor, learn from someone who is already where you want to be, talk to them about how they got to where they are and what they learned along the way, they can also give you feedback on areas where you need to improve.
These are just a few reasons why and how we should upskill, with the industry changing every day we should all take some time to work on upskilling ourselves then we will always be “On top of our game!”
Steffi Miller Recruitment Consultant.
Click here and follow us on our Linkedin page