It’s that time of year again! The New Year, the “new you”, the “I resolve too..” etc. etc..
I don’t know about you, but I have listed the same things (in my head! Not even on paper) that are my goals or resolutions for 2016. Usual suspects like, get fit, save more, buy a house, career progression, travel more etc.
It’s not that I don’t achieve these things every year. It’s just more of a two steps forward, one step back kind of scenario – slow and steady win the race, right?
I decided to reflect on this, and there was one time when I did achieve the things I set out to do at the start of the year (and so much more!), and I came to the conclusion that I am obviously not a ‘list’ sort of person… I am visual person!
Enter “Vision Board”
Little bit cheesy, little bit “new age” but if it works it works (and it does!). So I’ve decided it’s time to get on that band wagon again, and maybe you should too.
If you haven’t done this before, here is the what, how and why that you should give Vision Boards a go…
What is a Vision Board?
A Vision Board is a collage of images that represent your dreams, goals and aspirations = A visual representation
The benefits of creating a vision board:
- There is a link between what you put your attention on and what you are able to create in your life. By putting together a vision board, you are cementing in your mind how you want your life to unfold before you.
- It serves as a daily reminder to keep you on track. Put it in your kitchen, your bathroom, above your bedside table, pin it up at work, or a combination of all these. It will help you unconsciously move towards your dreams in a very real and powerful way.
How to put a vision board together:
- Tools: Magazines, scissors, glue (or pins), cork board (or cardboard, canvas), the internet and a printer (anything you can’t find in a magazine than google images is your best friend!). OR… My new personal favorite – Pinterest! Here’s a link to have a look at some examples and great ideas for your next vision board: https://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=vision%20boards
- Vision: Now clip, design, and pin/paste away! The vision board can be simple, with the words/pictures pasted randomly. Or you can create sections on your board, to cover different goal types – it can be arranged any way that makes sense to YOU. It doesn’t have to be word specific, as pictures can evoke a feeling of what you are trying to express (plane taking off equals travel maybe?)
- Placement of your vision board: Thanks to technology you can pretty much place your vision board anywhere, in any size. You could have the original set up at home, and then you could photograph it and have it as your smart phone background (done that before!), computer desktop picture, poster to hang up at work etc.
Creating a vision board is about thinking beyond what you believe is possible for you right now. Think outside the box, square AND circle! Don’t let logic limit you. You may not think that your dream holiday or dream job is a possibility next month or even next year. This tool allows you to open yourself up to the opportunities to make those dreams actually happen! (You may have heard of the law of attraction?)
And that’s it – Just don’t forget to look at it daily!! The more you look at the vision board, the more it will become a natural part of your awareness. And the more you will intuitively act from that vision to bring it to reality.